Oorja (www.oorjasolutions.org) is an award-winning social enterprise based in New Delhi. We are on a mission to empower 1 million farmers globally by 2030 with the agricultural solutions they need to sustainably increase their income and quality of life.
Oorja is a Farming-as-a-Service company working at the intersection of sustainable agriculture and renewable energy. Our focus is on powering beneficial appliances that help users to generate stable incomes, create jobs, and mitigate carbon emissions. Despite urgent need, around 90% of marginal farmers cannot afford to invest in solar technology for their farms. Oorja wants to close this gap. We finance decentralised solar energy systems for community use. Oorja sells irrigation, milling and cooling as affordable services on a Pay Per Use basis to smallholder farmers, without any upfront cost to them. We operate in rural areas of northern India where farmers are currently reliant on polluting and expensive diesel motors for their energy needs.
Oorja is seeking an Accountant stationed near its project sites in Uttar Pradesh. You should bring a minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience working in accounting and have excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets and Tally software. You will be working with a goal-driven team full of support and enthusiasm.
The primary responsibility will be of maintaining the company’s key accounting records and ensuring all postings are made to the ledger in a timely and accurate manner. You will be supporting the Finance Manager with bookkeeping, accounts, finance, sales, revenue, expense, inventory and admin related data. You will also be assisting the management team in building a strong financial system that is accurate and fair by working on a real-time basis system. You should have excellent spoken and written communication skills in English and Hindi.
• Day to day cash sales and collections, reconciliation and accurate recording of transactions
• Preparing expense records as per the company policy
• Maintenance of vouchers with supporting documents
• Supporting management with daily and monthly reporting, including for GST, PF and ESI
• Assisting in creating and maintaining inventory and filing systems for corporate records.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Accountant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Accurately posting sale of services and cash collections to the ledger in the correct period with the correct cost center assigned
• Accurately posting payments and receipts in the correct period as assigned
• Maintaining records of all purchases and expenses at the field office level
• Bookkeeping and making accounting entries on Tally; processing and monitoring accounts payable and receivable
• Reconciling sales figures and expenses made on a daily basis.
• Responsible for doing the cash and bank reconciliation on a daily basis
• Updating cash balance on a daily basis to give visibility on cash position to the management.
• Preparing data for submission of TDS, PF and ESI to the governing bodies
• Ensuring data preparation for GST returns on a monthly basis along with reconciliation of input credits available with those available on GSTR-2A.
• Communicating with the Sales and Collections teams working at different field locations to obtain data from sales registers to reconcile with the payment collection reports and updating it in the system accurately
• Communicating with the field teams working at different locations to obtain data on membership fee collection and maintain records
• Ensuring the cash collections are regularly deposited into the company bank account
• Preparing vouchers for expenses made from the field office along with proper supporting documentation; filing all the original bills; updating them on Google Sheets
• Ensuring payment receipts are issued to customers for membership fee collected and filing a copy for company records
• Assisting management in integration of revenue from multiple sources by coordinating with the Sales and Collection team
• Reconciliation of payment collections reports as provided by the Sales collection team
• Keeping records of operator salary, rent and other expenses made and sharing it with management in a proper format as provided
• Assisting management with different types of data collection, such as for cash flow management, debtor’s ageing, profitability calculations and project cost management
• Ensuring that all the documentation as required by the management is done at the field level in the proper formats as required
• Creating and maintaining filing and archiving systems for all field-level corporate records, documents, reports and files.
• Assisting management with placing equipment orders as per requirement
• Following up with vendors/suppliers on purchase orders for equipment, machinery, spare parts and other items made by the management and monitoring their dispatch and delivery using a tracking sheet; documentation of equipment invoices, serial numbers and warranties
• Preparing inventory sheets for all related registers, bill books, vouchers, stationery available at the office along with the issued one
• Ordering and maintaining stock of stationery, including sales registers, payment receipts, bill books, vouchers, etc.
• Prepare asset lists for all the assets available with field office along with the details of employees holding the same
• Taking delivery of mail, couriers, documents and ordered items at the branch office.
• Upkeep of office equipment and electronics
• Supervise and monitor inventory of office and program equipment
• Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the management.
Qualifications & Skills
• 1 to 2 years of overall professional experience in Accounting function; experience of GST work will be an advantage
• Bachelor’s in Accounting, Commerce, Finance, Business Administration or relevant discipline
• Experience with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and general ledger
• Good knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and Tally accounting software
• Good understanding of accounting principles and best practices
• High degree of accuracy and attention to details
• Extremely well organized with good documentation and reporting skills
• Excellent communication skills in Hindi and English (verbal and written)
• Ability to deliver and achieve targets under pressure and tight deadlines
What We Offer
• A highly enthusiastic, professional and self-driven international team
• A melting pot of diverse talents – development professionals, researchers, engineers, farmers, scientists and community mobilisers
• Competitive remuneration package
• Comprehensive health and accident insurance
• Interesting field of work where you will build your understanding of solar technology and the development sector
• Close mentorship for career development
• A flat and open work culture and friendly work environment
• Experience and responsibility at an award-winning company in the renewable energy and agritech industries, among of the fastest growing segments of the global economy
• The chance to make a difference and to help improve people’s lives.
To get regular updates subscribe to our telegram channel click here
Tagged as: accountant, finance