Job role insights
December 9, 2023
December 9, 2023
Location - Chennai/Bengaluru
Villgro is a social impact first incubator of startups and we are arguably the leaders in fostering ground up social innovations in the Climate Action sector. We invest in (through grants, low-cost debt, and equity) climate technology startups and SMEs, along with specific technical assistance. To achieve our mission of creating social impact at scale, we have expanded our incubation model to build partnerships with channel partners, networks of FPOs, SHGs and implementation NGOs. We are also building a suite of impact financing solutions that can reduce the barriers to adopting new technologies.
Our interest areas are in disruptive solutions that can create & support green livelihoods across markets, innovations that create value out of waste, and solutions that can make mobility more inclusive while being sustainable. We want to build multi-donor platforms that can work with over 100 startups and demonstrate high financial leverage for philanthropic capital.
Villgro wants a dynamic, motivated professional, passionate about social impact to join us as a Manager in our Climate Action sector.
Role & Deliverables
- Managing the portfolio of startups as part of the programs by providing the startups with requisite guidance, ensuring appropriate usage of funds to achieve scale and meet aligned objectives
- Take ownership of activities designed to help startups succeed - Mentoring, Technical Assistance, Networking events etc.
- Handling all other aspects of the program including outreach, partner management and donor reporting
- Ensure systematic capture data about startup progress as well as Villgro contribution to the same, for internal reporting purposes
- Conduct site visits while evaluating startups on goals and performance.
Donor & Partner management
- Manage relationships with donors and program partners to ensure clear communication of program data and status
- Co-own discussions and proposal responses on climate action new funding opportunities
- Build ecosystem knowledge to understand trends that can help decisions on investment opportunities and potential partnerships
Over & Above:
- Experience in rural livelihoods or renewable energy would be preferred
- A thirst to understand the ecosystem as a whole from Climate Science to Financing, Innovations to Impact, Livelihoods to Communities, would be appreciated. - Represent Villgro in the ecosystem and evangelize our point of view.
But remember, these are just the contours of the role as we have envisaged it. We would love to have you expand its boundaries and take on more
The ideal candidate would have,
1. A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree – in business, technology or development studies
2. 6-10 years of overall experience which included either portfolio management and/or field experience
3. A deep passion for climate action or a budding climate entrepreneur. Any experience with renewable energy would be an added plus
4. An understanding and appreciation of prevailing policy and business models in the climate space
5. Ability to work with diverse stakeholders
6. Ability to present data in a crisp and effective manner
7. Ability to coordinate programs involving multiple agencies/departments
8. Sound interaction and networking skills
We pay reasonably well and comparably higher within the nonprofit sector and there is a variable component.
How to apply:
Apply to this role by filling this Form. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are India’s foremost impact-first incubator. We believe that innovation and for-profit business models are the sustainable route to solving critical social and environmental problems in India. We help enterprises scale by financial (grants/equity/low-cost debt), subject matter expertise and help in accessing hard to reach markets.
We work with those who work in one or more of these areas –
1. Enabling green livelihoods
2. Generating value from waste
3. Reducing pressure on land and water systems
4. Improving livelihoods for small-holder farmers
5. Increasing the participation of women in the workforce
6. Improving health outcomes for women, and
7. Improving access to affordable screening and diagnostics for low-income populations in
Since 2001, we have worked with over 350 enterprises which have impacted over 20 million lives.
Values we hold close:
Villgro alumni have gone on to found social businesses, study at Ivy League and Indian B Schools, work or found impact funds and public policy institutes. But most importantly, they have become voices of change. We are committed to providing the same exposure and experiences to help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
An ideal candidate will resonate strongly with one or more of the following values.
● Empathetic: We walk in the shoes of our entrepreneurs and partners
● Bold: We embrace uncertainty, ambition, and believe in limitless possibilities
● Entrepreneurial: We take initiative and capitalize on opportunities
● Demonstrating Integrity: We are transparent, candid, and honest in our dealings
Interested in this job?
0 days left to apply